Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 3 - Integration with Malabo

Today has been an awesome day! We got to meet our UNGE student partners.  These are the kids who go to the university here on the island.  Sarah's partner is Prospero, Reed's is Pastor and mine is Antonio.  In order to get to know them and Malabo, David set up a little scavenger hunt for all of us.  The list he made included buying Getese/Orange phone credit, going to either Mercado central or Mercado publico and buying 500 cfa of tomatoes, determining the schedule of events at the French Cultural Center, the Spanish Cultural Center and the Guinean Cultural Center, finding out the hours of the National Library, walking a lap around La Plaza de Independencia, taking a taxi ride and laminating a copy of our passport at a "chino shop."

Aside from all the sweating because of being in the heat all day, I had a lot of fun!  It was awesome getting to know Antonio and the city.  Antonio actually lived in California for nine years, so he spoke English very well and this was good for me since I haven't taken a Spanish class in about 2 years.  We agreed, however, that some days we will converse in only Spanish that way I can practice.  It was interesting going to Mercado central because it showed me how much of a melting pot this island is.  There are a lot of people from different countries that reside here.  I guess this is mostly because of all of the oil on the island, but Antonio introduced me to several Cameroonians and Nigerians, whom all spoke some English.  It was very interesting to me hearing all of the different kinds of music they listen to...I heard a range of traditional island music and even some rap, including Nicki Minaj.  Antonio even took me to some places around the city that weren't on the list; it was very helpful getting a look at Malabo from a native, especially from one whom has experienced what living in the US is like.  Seeing all of the various homes in the city really made me appreciate the student house, which has 24/7 guard, air conditioning, running water, wifi, and a lot of space! We even have various fruit trees in the yard, including sawasawa, red fruit and mangoes - yum!!

After we all finished the scavenger hunt, we all got to go watch Prospero and Antonio perform their radio show - El Voz de Medio Ambiente.  This is a show that they write about the biodiversity of the island and the importance of protection of the species here.

Before dinner, Reed and I went to play basketball with Antonio at some courts by the university.  Little did I know that I would be the only girl there and so I decided just to watch. After all...basketball is not my best sport.  Once we got home, the boys made dinner and us girls made dessert.  We ended our night by watching the new documentary about the Gran Caldera that BBPP produced.  Wow, what an eye opening video.  It showed the beautiful landscapes and emphasized the importance in saving the species that are endangered.  It also helped me with my Spanish since it wasn't in English! They said they are going to release the video in the US sometime in February. By then, I will seen it firsthand...I can't wait!!

Hasta luego,
Lindsey

2 comments:

  1. Un blog muy interesante.
    Mucha información.
    Saludos desde Portugal

    Paulo Gonçalves
    http://viajaredescobrir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete