Friday, January 25, 2013

Day 24 - La Sofitel

Last night we went to three different places: Candy Irish Pub...yes there is a pub here...Buddha Club and Black Note, which is another club.  They were all pretty nice and I had fun!! The first two played American music and that was shocking.  Then at the third one, Black Note, it was reggae night and they had a guy singing and it was funny because no one was dancing so we all went up onto the dance floor...I can only imagine what the other people were saying about the group of 6 white people dancing who clearly weren't the best.  I can honestly say that I am going to miss everyone I have met from this expedition...I wish they were staying until March!

Well anyways, for today we had Spanish class a little earlier because David planned a little field trip for us to an old cocoa plantation in Sipopo.  But he wasn't anticipating the car in Moka breaking down, so he had to be a taxi around town.  Field trip postponed!

Instead, we came back after class and just relaxed.  One of the volunteers, Leslie, ended up booking a room at la Sofitel, a really nice 5 star hotel here in Malabo, for tonight.  And it just so happens that yesterday while grocery shopping Sarah and I met this super nice man who speaks English very well because his brother lives in Dallas, Texas.  While walking to class today, however, we ended up passing him again and he invited us to this event that the French Cultural Center is throwing at la Sofitel.  It is a little piano concert and so it works out perfectly that we were going to meet up with Leslie for dinner anyhow!

The hotel is extremely nice inside...very swanky.  Once we got there, we went into the venue and everyone looked very dressed up, but we didn't get the memo that it was black and white attire...so we stayed for a few minutes and then left. Still cool though!! We went to the little pizza place with the red awning that we went to on the first night being on the island...so delicious.  Who would've thought that Africa has some of the best pizza...and pastries...can't forget about Delice de France!!! YUM!

But I am very tired from my lack of sleep last night, so I didn't want to go out with anyone.  Man I could really go for a movie before bed...I wish we had a TV!!

Hasta luego,
Lindsey



No comments:

Post a Comment