Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 1 - Landing on the Island

Hello everyone! So this blog is going to be a way for all of my friends and family to keep up with everything that is going on with me while I am studying abroad in EG.  

So I set out from Philly and had a layover in both Chicago and Madrid.  In Madrid I had met Sarah, another study abroad student from Baylor University, and from there we flew into Malabo, a city on Bioko Island and the capital of Equatorial Guinea.  From the plane the views of the island were breathtaking - then again I think that is how it is when you fly anywhere tropical - but regardless, I was excited to explore all of the lush, green scenery it had to offer.  Going through customs was a little intimidating, but Sarah and I made it through and were eager to meet our RD on the island.  

Here is where things went a little unexpected and I'm sorry mom and dad, if you are reading this, for not telling you before...I just didn't want you to worry!  Anyways, an hour had passed and by then we weren't too worried because we were told that traffic can be crazy and sometimes rides can arrive than later what is planned.  We had met a nice Equatoguinean boy who spoke some English, so at least we could chat a bit.  Sarah and I both spoke some Spanish, but not fluently.  Once two hours had passed we started to worry and then soon realized that no one was coming when it got darker.  We didn't have any cfa, the currency on the island, and had no local numbers to contact anyone...mistake number one...we had anticipated getting all of that once we met up with our RD.  The boy who spoke some English managed to help me get some money out of an ATM in the airport and Sarah and I decided we had to take a taxi to the US Embassy, the only place we knew someone would know who we should contact.  We got into an unmarked taxi with the boy who spoke English to help us..mistake number two..because it was rather scary.  I think I asked every 30 seconds how much farther we had to go because all that kept flashing in my head was the movie Taken.  After a drive through the city, we made it to the embassy - what a relief - and found out that there had been a miscommunication and they expected us to arrive on the third, not today.  Our RD picked us up within 10 minutes and everything worked out.  If we hadn't learned some real life skills today, I don't know how else we could...what an adventure for my first time out of the country other than a cruise!!

After settling in and showering (my body isn't used to this extreme heat since it is freezing in PA right now...AKA I'm sweating profusely) our RD took me, Sarah and Reed, another study abroad student from Drexel, out for some pizza.  It was delicious!!

Lesson learned for the day - NEVER travel somewhere foreign without any local contacts.

Hasta luego,
Lindsey


No comments:

Post a Comment