Thursday, March 7, 2013

Days 63 - 65

For the past couple days we have just been having classes and finishing up assignments...at the end of next week we have our finals...it is so weird to think about how fast this time abroad has gone for me.  I feel like just yesterday I was on the expedition hiking up the Caldera wall.  It is crazy.  We did watch the movie Blood Diamond last night and although I've seen the movie before, it felt like it was in a whole new context since I was actually in Africa.

Earlier today we walked around the city a bit with Aurora and we went to a few "touristy" shops that had some trinkets you could buy.  They have some really cool stuff like carvings, necklaces, bracelets, and paintings, but it is all overpriced...I guess I will have to test my bargaining skills!! It will be interesting for when the owners only speak Spanish!

After classes we headed to Bososo, a village on the way to Moka.  It was so cute!! Once we got there we met the president of the village and his wife and some other various people.  They were all so kind....much more than in Malabo...but I guess that is how it is anywhere when you compare small towns to cities.  They let us go around the church there...so beautiful!  Then we set up chairs and started gathering people to see the Drill Documentary.  The president and his wife had cooked up plantains and some antelope..kind of ironic because of the reason why we are here...but anyways, it was all very delicious.  Then various women from the village started dancing and singing with all of these bowls of fruit to give to us...it was so cool! I have never seen anything like it or anyone be so generous before!!  I was truly touched by everyone in this village.




















After the movie, we helped clean up and headed back home.  One thing I have noticed is that it is really hard for people who speak Spanish to say my name and it usually ends up being something like "arindsey" or "lentse." Too funny.

I have some videos that I will upload on here once I am back in the states and have a better internet connection!

Hasta luego,
Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. So neat. This has been such a great experince for you to witness these kind of things and like you said the "generosity" all of you received. I can't wait to see the videos when you are home. I love you so much.
    Trils and bils.
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete