Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Day 77 - Last Day on Bioko!

There has been quite a bit of stress this morning...packing, cleaning, doing last minute laundry, getting CFA exchanged for dollars, checking in for my flight, figuring out transportation to the airport since David doesn't have a car right now...but I must say I am excited to go home!  Actually, it is kind of bittersweet.  Just as I am getting comfortable with the city and my Spanish and all of the friends I have made here, we have to leave.  I have had such an amazing experience though and I am beyond grateful that I have had this opportunity to not only study abroad here, but also complete the galago research.  Not many undergrad students can say they performed research in Africa when they were 18!!  I also and excited to get home just in time for my birthday (a few hours before it actually)...seeing my family will be the best gift!!

Sp I really like making lists and I think they are easier to read sometimes, so I decided to make a few lists as a recap of my entire experience here.

Some of my favorite things we did:

  • The expedition...who wouldn't love seeing monkeys in the wild and living in a caldera and camping on a beach for 2 weeks?
  • Moka research...I loved being in Moka because of the research we did, the people we met, and the weather!  It was gorgeous in Moka and it felt like spring back home.  Plus galagos are so cute!!
  • Going to Sipopo beach...Sipopo beach was my favorite beach that we went to here on the island and it was so awesome when we swam out to the island!! Scary, but still awesome!
  • Walking around the markets...It was really cool going to both the Mercado central and Semu because you got to meet a lot of people and see a lot of different cultural things all in one place.
  • Spanish class...I really loved taking Spanish class at Carmen's.  She is really nice and although the first day I wanted to cry because she didn't speak any English, it was really helpful that she didn't.  Plus her kids are really nice, as well!

What I would have done differently:
  • Figured out a way to volunteer before the Moka research that way I could have done it for the last month...you never need a reason to help people and I would have loved to volunteer at one of the schools here.  
  • Taken a Spanish class at Drexel before coming here...Not having taken Spanish since high school was not my best choice when studying abroad in a Spanish-speaking country.  
  • Packed more dresses...wearing jeans/pants in weather that is 90 degrees and humid is not fun!  
  • I wouldn't have worn a watch everyday while walking outside because I have a nice little watch tan line now...oh and my sandals tan line is cute, too!

I don't want to sound cliché when I say this, but I really have learned more than I ever expected here.  I really do feel like I have grown from this experience.  I may not have gone where I intended to go these past 3 months, but I think I was exactly where I needed to be.  I am going to miss everyone I have met here, but I am excited to see my family and friends...and play volleyball again!

Here are some random pictures from over the experience that I hadn't uploaded before.  I still couldn't get very many pictures of the city itself, but I tried! 


You can see one of the palaces in the background.

Aurora and I after the beach!



Malabo

Malabo

Malabo


Malabo

Malabo

The central market 

A mural near the French cultural center


At the landfill for class

Adama's daughter always would lay by the door

Landfill

The avocados here are a lot bigger than in the US...yum!



Walking to Mark and Olivia's apartment

Runner!


Triana, Carmen's cat



David, Triana and Carmen's son






Fish from Mama Annes


Prospero

Studying in Moka











This is a picture of the beach in Sipopo...you can see the island we swam out to in the background!







Tonight before we have to go to the airport we are having a goodbye dinner at La Luna. I am sad we have to say goodbye to everyone!! But I am happy that I got to meet all of these people and I have made a lot of connections in regards to my future and whatever I plan on doing after undergrad!!

My next and last post will be from the United States!  Talk to you all soon!

I'm all packed up and ready to go home!



Hasta luego,
Lindsey

  

1 comment:

  1. Yea Yea you are on your way back home soon. I love your pictures and all of the experiences you have had. I miss you and can't wait to see you really really soon.
    Love ya trils and bils.

    ReplyDelete