Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 66 - El Dia de La Mujer



Happy International Women's Day everyone!! I didn't know this holiday existed before coming here, but I think it should be celebrated more in the United States.  It has been an awesome day!

Aurora, Olivia and I woke up early and headed to La Plaza de La Mujer and met up with some women.  Bioko had  parade and all of these activities planned, but they gather at the plaza until the various church services are over.  I had class at 1:30 and we weren't sure when things would be getting done, so we decided to go have some coffee at Delice de France and then make lunch at Olivia and Mark's place.  On the way to Delice everyone we passed would yell "feliz dia!" even men.  We got some weird looks for our outfits...since we are white women...but other people loved it and complimented us.  

So after coffee we went and got Sarah and then enjoyed a nice lunch...even Runner (Mark and Olivia's dog) had on some women's day attire!!  We even got to see some of the parade...they were all singing this song and walking along the streets...it was really cool to see all of the different outfits women had made for the day.  

For Spanish class today Carmen invited Aurora and we had a music lesson from Leonardo (I have mentioned him before in my djembe post).  It was cool for Aurora because she hadn't been to a drum circle yet!  

And to end our night...after our other classes of course...us ladies had dinner at this really good rib place.  I haven't had ribs in so long, but these were delicious!  And only $5 for that and a little salad!  

I think it is safe to say that the first holiday I spent on this island was a great one.  I am getting excited to go home, but sad at the same time because there are so many more fun things I want to experience...especially now that we know more people and are more comfortable with the island.  I guess I will just have to do as much as possible these last 10 days!!


Runner with her scarf on!


Olivia and I.

At the plaza!



The parade.




Music lesson at Carmen's!





Hasta luego,
Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. Hi Baby,
    Wow so exciting. Your dress and the other women's are really neat. What a great day for you all to experience. We can't beleive you only have 10 more days. The time went fast. Thansk for sharing this great day with us.
    We love you tirls and bils, Mommy and Daddy and Squirt and Ninny

    ReplyDelete