Thursday, February 28, 2013

Day 58 - Getting Dresses Made

International Women's Day, which is on March 8th this year, is very important on the island.  Actually, almost every woman, even some males, get dresses/skirts/blouses/pants made with different colored materials that say "Dia de la mujer" in various patterns.  Aurora and Olivia had already gotten their clothes made, so Sarah and I went out with Aurora...Olivia had work...to get some made for us!! It was fun getting to walk around the city with Aurora and experience some new things we haven't yet.  Plus Aurora is from Guatemala and so her Spanish is a lot better than ours...makes it a little easier!!  I will post some pictures once we get the clothes.

My favorite was this blue color fabric and I had bought enough to get two blouses and a skirt made...we are going to go back on Monday afternoon and make sure they fit and what not.  While at the fabric store, we met this women who gave us all the details on the parade and what other events are going on that day.  She said the parade starts at la plaza de la mujer...I figured...and then marches up Airport Rd until one of the hotels where various activities are going on...I can't wait!!  Plus it is going to be even more fun since Aurora and Olivia will be with me and Sarah!

For dinner Herminia, a woman who had been a cook for students in other years, came over and made us some fish and pasta...mmm it was delicious! And convenient since we don't get back from class until after 9!  She had brought her granddaughter Diana over and she was adorable.  I wish I spoke better Spanish!

Hasta luego,
Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. Hi Baby bear,
    Your days sound so amazing. I am jealous. The picture of the dress you are wearing for the parade looks really cute. I hope you have a great day and I love you trils and bils.
    Love Mommy

    ReplyDelete