Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Day 34 & 35

Ya know,  I have tried to remain positive and not get frustrated while living over here, but it just isn't easy...so I apologize, but this post isn't going to be the happiest.

It's a good day when I wake up and go to brush my teeth or pee and the light in the bathroom works...yep it didn't turn on this morning.  Then I couldn't find my headlamp in my pile of things from the expedition and I was trying not to be too loud because Sarah was asleep.  I finally found it and so I went to brush my teeth, but not even thinking I put the toothbrush under the faucet rather than using my bottle of water...ending up having to use my finger that had a taste of hand sanitizer to it. Great start to the day!

Then the air conditioner stopped working in the living room and we only have two working fans in the house.  So I usually camp out in my bedroom to avoid profusely sweating, but if you keep that air conditioner on too long, it drips condensation all over the top of my bed...plus I am always wearing pants because that is what the women wear here. That or long skirts, which I only brought one of.  UGH!

Not to mention how I keep obtaining bug bites...this is with repeatedly applying bug spray to my legs and arms!! And sleeping with a mosquito net! They are just so damn itchy.

All of the healthy food here is way over priced and when I go to the market for fresh vegetables and fruit, the women over charge me because I'm a "Blanca."  Even when I try to bargain, they just say no and then I give in because man a pineapple or some tomatoes are really nice.

And the internet is beyond frustrating...it never works consistently and it kicks me off of things when I am in the middle of writing something or talking to someone...I miss being able to talk to everyone from home whenever I want!



Okay, I am done venting now.  Moral of this post is that living like an African is not easy.  The culture and living standards are just so different and it has been quite the adjustment.  I can honestly say that I do have a much greater appreciation for everything back home...I also give props to David for living here for over a year!  This is all what I signed up for though...I knew it would be different and I came into this with an open mind and I still have one...somewhat...but everyone has those days where they are just beyond frustrated.  Malabo, you have cracked me for the first time.

One good thing is that yesterday Adama's wife made these flour, sugar and milk things that were fried and they were delicious.  It was so nice of her to give us some!  I also had a good laugh because a taxi driver today said to me "hola morena," which doesn't make any sense at all because morena is referring to a woman with dark skin, dark hair and dark eyes...aka the total opposite of everything about me haha that was funny.  That is definitely one of my high points for the day.  That and when we walked into Carmen's house for Spanish class her son was making something  and when we asked him what it was, he said TNT...only in Malabo.

Tomorrow is going to be a better day.

Hasta luego,
Lindsey

2 comments:

  1. One day at a time. It just teaches you to realy appreciate our way of living.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the faith Lindsey Girl!! You are creating memories that will last a lifetime!!

    ReplyDelete