Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Day 57 - The US Embassy Event

Today in Spanish class Carmen told me that she was going to talk to the teachers in the English department at her school...I can't wait! I would love to help and since I am running out of time here to get things done, I need to figure out how to help ASAP.

I forgot to mention in my post yesterday that at the pub we met two really friendly women, Yolanda and Elvira.  Elvira speaks some English and wants to learn more, so it was perfect!  Then before our Economics class today the US Embassy was throwing a roundtable event about Civil Rights and Elvira happened to be there.  So she sat with us and Sarah and I had already met Ashley, the woman who helped us with our first day debacle, so we chatted a bit.  The event itself was really interesting!! For some of it they spoke in only Spanish, so it was good practice for us.  The US Ambassador of EG, the US Ambassador for the African Union and a representative from the Ministry of Culture and Tourism for EG all spoke.

We were a little upset because we had to leave early in order to be at UNGE in time for class, but it was still an awesome experience!  We keep meeting all of these very interesting people...you know what they say about networking!

I think I am going to contact Ashley and see if there is anyway I can volunteer at the Embassy because it will be another way that I can help out.  Plus it may be a little easier to arrange in between my classes since there would much less of a language barrier!

Hasta luego,
Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment